Friday, 16 September 2011

New Project: Mantle Clock

So Today I'm going to show you my latest project, A Smith's mantle clock, I don't know the age, but it could be as old as 1940 or as relatively new as 1970. Amazingly going by the state of the outside it keeps time and chimes perfectly!

first thing I did was to sand everything down which is the stage you can see in the photo, all the varnish was peeling away before that which is not a good surface to start decoupaging on and the roughness will help everything stick

I decided rather than painting any of  this clock as I have done before I would decoupage the whole thing using one of my vintage comic books I got from a car boot. I have no idea what it's about but it looks cool.

A Second View

At this stage I did consider whether or not decoupaging the whole thing was the right thing to do, that maybe leaving  it about here and restoring the wood was the right way to go. This was also based on the fact that because I was following all of the different pieces and angles of the wood it became a lot  harder than I thought it was going to be.

But I decided to do it anyway as the whole clock face is still wood and its already in god condition, and I think it looks great :)

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment